Wednesday, August 5, 2009

"The Big Lake they call Gitcha Gumee"

Each summer for the last 19 years my family ventures up north to Tofte on Lake Superior. Affectionately known to us as "the Fin", Bluefin Bay is a fabulous resort right on the rocks. It is nice to get away from it all, even cellphone coverage areas. We hike, bike, swim and eat the days away. This was Lily's 2nd trip and she had a blast. Throwing rocks in the lake was the cool new thing, and to her great delight, Bjorn would toss in mini boulders that gave off the big splashes. This year the weather was the coolest we had experienced in August, but still beautiful. We visited the Fisherman's picnic in Grand Marais to watch the logrolling competition and eat Sven & Ole's pizza, grabbed a few of the World's Best Doughnuts (Congratulations- you did it!!) and then headed to Lutsen to hike and visit the new lodge at the top of the gondola.

For the 1st time Papa passed a spatula to me and I was able to help with the grilling. He took care of the steaks, while I worked the chicken. Eating is a big part of the trip too- we make all our meals and a whole lot of snacking goes down as well. While there I read a great Jodi Picoult book called "Second Glance". I spent several hours in a reading trance, reminding me why I don't read very much during the school year. My sister Erin and I biked along the fabulous Superior path they have been working on for the last several years. Each year we are able to go a little bit farther. It's incredible to hike trails that we have done for so many years and see the familiar landmarks- waterfalls, views of the lake, wood table and certain rocks, as well as the new sights and people to see them with. Tradition is wonderful thing.



Throwing rocks at the nightly bonfire.

Running around in her auntie's shirt-turned-dress.

The whole group up at Lutsen.

Sistas!


Lily did an incredible job on her first hike! She loves to be the leader and have everyone following. Next year I plan to outfit her with some boots and a walking stick! She completed the 2 mile loop almost entirely on her own. Our outdoorsie girl!
At the top, overlooking the lake.

Riding in the gondola was another highlight.

Bjorn and Lily throwing rocks.

My 2 little squatters!

Swimming with Dada-
so this is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment